Saturday, January 15, 2011

Weathering the winter

Before I went inside, I went over to the other side of the deck, where I put my flower pots under the shelter of the upper deck. This pansy is still living:


So is this one.


The saxifraga, which has already survived one winter, is still living as well.


The wallflower is also doing well, although my photograph of it is blurry.


The needlepoint ivy is quite a few years old. Usually in the fall or spring I cut it back, then it re-grows.


We should live in the present, but in the winter, it's hard not to long for spring. Today was a pleasant winter day, and I was contented by it. I did regret the early sunset. The days have been lengthening now for less than a month. It will take a while to become more noticeable. Today, sunset was at 4:41 p.m. here in Lynden. By the end of the month, it will be after 5:00 p.m. That's a little more reasonable.

No comments: