Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Being a Janeite

I'm almost done with a total Jane Austen re-read. During the Christmas season, I (re-)watched "Sense and Sensibility," directed by Ang Lee, with the screenplay by Emma Thompson, starring all kinds of wonderful people including the intriguing Alan Rickman.

Mm, yes.

Sorry. I got distracted there a minute.

Anyway, I watched the movie, then the Emma Thompson commentary, then re-read the book, and having tasted the sweets of Jane Austen once more had to gobble down the whole plateful.

I read them in no particular order. Sense and Sensibility, then Pride and Prejudice, then Emma, then Northanger Abbey, then Mansfield Park, and now I am about a third of the way through Persuasion.

O that Jane Austen had been spared to write more books! (I'm paraphrasing Mr. Bennett's remark about Mr. Bingley, in Chapter Three of Pride and Prejudice: "O that he had sprained his ancle in the first dance!" Then Mrs. Bennett wouldn't bore him by reciting a list of all Mr. Bingley's partners.)

Get intrigued:

No comments: