Saturday, January 22, 2011

House plants

This afternoon I transplanted some house plants. Ordinarily I would take a picture of them and include it in this post, but they are mostly pretty sorry looking right now. One plant was droopy because its roots were waterlogged. It was in a starter pot that was stuck inside a plastic pot for store display purposes, so not good drainage. The other three had been together in a shallow pot that was sent to me many months ago by co-workers after I had a medical procedure. I had let them dry out recently and one of them was root bound.

Then there were the spider plant babies. I cut them off my spider plant and stuck them in a glass of water to see if they would grow roots. They did not, but some of the leaves rotted. So this afternoon I stuck them into a pot of dirt to see if they would root in the dirt.

The three dried-out plants were an African violet (actually the healthiest of the bunch, but not blooming right now), something that resembles an asparagus fern, and some type of creeping plant. The creeper was healthy but only growing in one direction, and the asparagus fern-like plant had quite a few yellow leaves or needles as the case may be.

I've been meaning to do this transplanting for weeks. I can only do it on a Saturday, as on weekdays I'm only home during the dark  hours, and on Sundays I have other things to do. Today was cloudy but not rainy and the temperature was mild enough that being out on the deck in a sweatshirt and vest was not unpleasant.

"Vest" is an interesting word. For Americans, it means a sleeveless garment worn over a shirt--what the Brits call a "waistcoat." And for Brits "vest" means what Americans would call an "undershirt." The vest I was wearing was not the type that would be part of a 3-piece suit, but is more like a sleeveless jacket, quite large, so that it can go over a sweatshirt.

Anyway, maybe in a few weeks, if these plants have survived and thrived, then I can take a picture and post it.

No comments: