Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sleeping dogs should lie

A little while ago I heard a heartsick cat yowling outside. I slowly turned my eyes, then my head toward my dog, who was on the couch. Fortunately, he was asleep and stayed that way. If he were awake and I had visibly started at the sound of a cat outside, he would have gone from somnolence to insanity in less than a second and launched himself at the furniture near the windows--yelping, barking, and snorting, all the while glancing over at me as if to check how impressive his display of watchfulness is and wondering (hoping against hope) that I, too, will leap to my feet and fling open the door and let him run out to challenge the feline.

I do not let my dog out unless he is on a leash. One time he got out while I was at work. I forget whether I blogged about this. But he was missing overnight, and I got very little sleep that night. Thank heaven and the Lynden police that he was returned to me safely the next day.

Goof Dog

No comments: