Saturday, January 15, 2011

Peaceful Saturday morning

This morning I walked my dog, and the temperature was so mild compared to earlier this week that I stopped and looked at my favorite deck chair and thought of sitting there. I include my dog in the picture because, always, he is part of the charm of the scene.


If any wind had been blowing, it would have been chilly, but the air was still. So I did go ahead and sit in that Adirondack chair. My dog was willing to wait for me, although he wondered why, now that the thrill of his walk was over, we didn't go inside and take it easy on soft furniture in a warm room.


I sat and look out at our back yard, delightful even in winter. I love that snow doesn't stay and that the lawn stays green all winter. The creek is high from the recent snow and rain. In the picture below, between the thick tree trunk center left and the brown bush center right, past the grass, you can just see the top of the water rushing in the creek.


You can only see the water in the creek from my deck during the winter when it's high. My dad said that it is about a foot lower today than yesterday. Our back yard is the creek's flood plain, and it does flood every two or three years. The water has never reached the house, but my dad built a retaining wall, which you can see at the bottom of the above picture, anyway. He didn't build it with his own hands. A contractor built it by pumping concrete into a form.

It was very pleasant sitting out there. I was wearing a sweatshirt and coat and did not get cold. Little birds fluttered around the feeder.


Sitting on the deck in mild weather, enjoying the yard and watching the birds is just about the perfect Saturday morning activity.

No comments: