Thursday, January 13, 2011

Labour's bath

Hooray, tomorrow's Friday and then a three-day weekend. I am profoundly tired tonight and need to go to bed on time. Driving home from work this evening I seriously struggled to stay awake at the wheel.

I just went and pushed on the lever of my kitchen faucet to stop an annoying drip. Are there any drips that are not annoying? Dripping faucets, dripping noses. Those are annoying. Maybe the occasional drips of rain drops off tree branches is not.

I have eaten dinner, and soon it will be time for great Nature's second course.

Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleave of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast . . .

Macbeth, Act 2, Scene 2, William Shakespeare

No comments: