Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Things I've planted lately: shady side


Pale pink double impatiens surrounded by golden creeping jenny (lysimachia nummularia "aurea"). I did find a home for the dark pink impatiens I so impatiently (har) bought earlier. Ideally, the creeping jenny will grow in long, flowing strands over the edges of the barrels and produce little yellow flowers. Some years that happens, some years it doesn't. Most winters, a few creeping jenny survive but I have to buy a few more in the spring to fill in the spaces. If I see it again, I may buy a little more yet. I would like it to be lush.


Fuchsia, times four -- that is I have three more hanging baskets like this one. Each has four fuchsia starts in it. They were taller, but the lady at the nursery advised pinching them back so they would grow thicker. Hopefully these will also grow long and trailing and produce blooms. I think the blooms will be pink and white.


Red begonias around the calla lily. These beauties are already blooming. I trust the calla lily will eventually do the same.


White petunias with purple bacopa in a hanging basket, times two. The begonias in the second basket are not blooming yet.

For a while I always put red begonias with white bacopa in these two baskets. I did that last year then, on a different trip to the nursery (perhaps a different nursery), bought six more red begonias for the 1/2-barrel with the calla lily. The half-barrel stands near these hangers, and it turned out the hanging and the barrel begonias were two different red hues -- one was noticeably oranger than the other. They were all beautiful, but they did not harmonize. I'm not super-concerned with grand effects; I just buy flowers with pretty colors and don't necessarily try to create a scheme, but that clashing was too much.

There are fuchsia colors I've had in the past that I like better than the ones I bought this year, but this particular variety (called "Lena") was healthy for me, grew well, and didn't get bugs, so I'm going with it again this year.

No comments: