Thursday, May 17, 2012

The robin

This morning a robin was fluttering around my deck again with grass in its mouth to build a nest.


I never can tell if it's the same robin coming back over and over again or if they come and go. Either several have started nests or one has started several nests on a section of drainpipe under the upper deck.


Just a little wad of grass on the left-hand corner of white pipe was there when I went outside this morning.

The robin watched me from among the branches of the pin oak tree.


He's right in the center of the above picture.


Then he flitted over to the support beam and peeked down at me.

Uh, oh.... The plot thickens.


The cat was certainly aware of the robin's presence. Right at this crucial juncture I had to leave. I was gone from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Guess what? This evening, there actually is a nest on the drainpipe. I had to use my flash to get a picture of it.



I scared a bird out of the nest when I approached. If it abandons the nest, it might be for the best. I potter around with my flowers right in that area fairly frequently, and if that is too much traffic, then the birds had best build elsewhere. On the other hand, it would be fun to watch baby birds. I will just follow my regular routine and let the birds decide. A few years ago a robin built a nest in this same location and never used it.

The other thing is, I would think that a highly motivated cat could reach this nest. So I think the birds should nest in a safer spot. I understand from several anecdotal sources that robins are often not very smart about where they build. Maybe that helps keep the robin population in check.

No comments: