Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Found it!

Today on my way through Bellingham I stopped at the Garden Spot. The one thing I had on my list was a hook-extender-thingy. You know: you hang it on a hook, then you hang your hanging plant on it, and that way your hanging plant hangs lower.

Do your plants hang low? Do they wobble to and fro? Does everyone still know that song? It goes:

Do your ears hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you throw 'em over shoulder
Like a Continental soldier?
Do your ears hang low?

But then you can substitute other body parts for ears.

Anyway. I got it for the hanging basket of strawberries I put upstairs for my dad.

I found lavadula dentata! Hooray. I have seen it called French lavender at Hi Hoe, but here they called it gray lavender, and there was some other, geographic, name. That's why you need the Latin name, sometimes, because the folk names can vary from place to place.

I also found double impatiens in starting pots and in colors I liked better than the color I bought in the hanging basket a week ago. After some hesitation, I decided to buy some pale pink ones and give away the hanging basket. I'll call my niece and see if she'd like it and, if not, I'll find someone else. It's a good thing I never transplanted those. I was too fast to buy some that weren't quite what I wanted. I was afraid that I'd look around and never find what I wanted, then come back and even this bunch would be gone.

And I bought some purple verbena and some fuchsias for the hanging pots. Quite a  haul. Now I have lots of potting to do. I got home at an awkward time, 4:00. My dog starts to get excited about dinner at 4:00 even though I will not feed him till 5:00. So if I went out on the deck and worked I could either take him on his chain, in which case he would go crazy thinking it was evening walk time and be a big bother out there, or leave him indoors, in which case because of his high state of excitement about dinner and the anxiety that would ensue when I left him in the house, some, um, regrettable accident might occur. So I decided to use this hour to read stuff on the internet and write my blog.

Must be factored into plans.
Very important.

At 5:00 I'll feed and walk the dog, then make myself some dinner then see if I can do any work on the deck. It's cooler now than a few days ago. I'm such a delicate flower (ahem) that if I go out on my deck but then feel that I'm particularly tired or it's just a trifle too chilly, I have a tendency to go back in the house and read a book. (I've just started re-reading Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.) If I don't transplant stuff, I at least need to water stuff. I hate when starter plants die in their little pots while they're waiting for me to plant them. Poor little things.

Feed me!

No comments: