Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Selfishness

At work this afternoon, my boss looked at my co-worker and asked, "Are you sick?" and he admitted he was. My boss said, "I noticed you looked pale this morning, and now you look flushed." So she told him to go home.

Meanwhile, I work in the same room with him and throughout the day I had noticed he was sneezing a lot, but the only effect on me was that while he was at lunch, after I did a task on his computer, I made sure to used hand sanitizer because I had touched the same mouse he was using.

Reminds me of a time many years ago, a different workplace and a different co-worker, who, again, was sick. She kept coughing. Plus I felt she was dramatizing her coughing. She would cough, then gag, then groan, then sigh. After some hours of this, I urged her to go home. She was touched by my kind concern for her health and thought I was sweet. I knew in my heart that my only concern was to get her coughing out of my hearing before I went crazy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate, Jan. I often feel rather more annoyed by that kind of thing than sympathetic. Good to get undeserved credit for sweetness. I'm sure once she was gone you did wish her well. :)

Janette Kok said...

Like they say in Fiddler on the Roof: God bless and keep the tsar . . . far away from us.