Monday, August 5, 2013

7 layers, more or less

My dog was recovering nicely until on Sunday he ate some bacon-grease infused paper towels, which is bad for his pancreas. Did you know a dog can get pancreatitis? Mine does. He's better again now.

My small group at church needed to provide dinner for the Jesus Gathering in downtown Bellingham that is part of Envision Ministries. I was committed to make a salad, so I made a layered salad. This is sometimes called a 7-layer salad, but I freely add and subtract layers according to my personal taste. Here's how my salad went down:
  • Lettuce (Romaine; when I make a salad I cut lettuce with a sharp knife into small strips because I hate sticking a fork into a salad and coming up with half a head of lettuce)
  • Green onions (cut up, of course)
  • Frozen young peas (thawed out)
  • Sliced water chestnuts (from a can)
  • Mayonnaise spread über alles
  • Sugar sprinkled on the mayonnaise
  • Then seasoned salt
  • Then garlic powder
  • Then put it in the fridge over night
  • Then fry some bacon and boil some eggs (this is where the bacon-grease infused paper towels originated)
  • Cut up the bacon and sprinkle it over the top of the salad
  • Peel the boiled eggs, then chop them up and sprinkle them over the top
Now you're done. It was a very popular salad at the buffet. People came back and asked for seconds. Even people from my small group who had brought other salads wanted this salad.

Meanwhile, when I came home and I was in the bathroom (never mind doing what) my dog went nosing much further into the kitchen garbage than I thought he could ever reach, pulled out the grease-infused paper towels, and ate the grease-infused portions of them. He was still pooping shreds of paper towel this evening.

Stop me before I eat something that will make me sick.

No comments: