Monday, January 30, 2012

Pass it on

So this morning on my drive to work, yesterday's song, "For Those Tears I Died," was stuck in my head, especially the chorus. Driving down Memory Lane, even though it looked like the Guide Meridian, I then remembered a song that we sang so often in my youth that it almost became tiresome.

In our denomination (the Christian Reformed Church) when I was growing up, what now is called a youth group was then called Young People's. My Young People's group from the area of Syracuse New York went on a Young People's retreat with some other Young People's in Upstate New York, maybe Rochester. I think we slept in sleeping bags in the church basement. And we attended the Sunday morning service where we contributed to the worship by singing "Pass It On." No one in Young People's needed a song book or printout of the words to sing that song. We knew it inside out. As a boy in my group muttered when we were told what we'd be doing, "You can't have a Young People's retreat without singing 'Pass It On.'"

I searched for it on Youtube and there were lots of videos where earnest people sang this song sincerely but not beautifully. And there was a video of "Evie" singing it that reminded me all over again that her style of singing is really not my cup of tea. And then I found this one:



Nice. Apparently this is a Gospel group from Australia, Endless Praise. They do the Southern Hemisphere proud.

2 comments:

Mavis said...

Jan, I've been singing that "For Those Tears I Died" ever since reading your blog. All day today still. Now I suppose "Pass It On" will start. :)

Good blogs.

Janette Kok said...

So glad I put a song in your heart. :-D