Monday, January 16, 2012

Big and fluffy

We received some more snow overnight. I took this picture before my dog and I tromped over it:


On Friday night, my great-nephew was hoping for significant snowfall so that he could build a snow fort. I hope this satisfies him. I asked him if he was hoping for a snow day from school (as I always did), but he said no, because then they tack on a day at the end of the year. So he's already grown-up enough to see long-term effects, though still young enough to want to build a snow fort. That's probably a good age to be. I did not share with him that in my ill-spent high school days I always hoped for a snow day so that it would pay off for me not to do my homework. Sometimes I took the gamble of not doing it in hopes of a snow day. If the snow day failed me, then during my morning classes I did homework that was due in my afternoon classes. I was what's known as an underachiever in high school.

This afternoon, it snowed some more -- big, fluffy flakes. I thought of that old fast food commercial: "It's big bun." "A big, fluffy bun." "Where's the BEEF?"



Here are the big, fluffy flakes:


I guess deep in my heart of hearts, I still would like to get a snow day. Today it was unnecessary, as it's a holiday. Today in the U.S. we honor the great civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, Jr. He was a great man, worthy of honor, but that's another topic.

Meanwhile, here's a peaceful picture of snowfall in our back yard:

No comments: