Sunday, January 29, 2012

Drops

Raindrops did keep falling on my head today, whenever I was out of doors. The ground is saturated and the ditches are full. A fairly typical Sunday, involving church, visiting my sister-in-law, and going to the grocery store.

Writing about rain drops made me remember a song I used to sing at the campfire at a Christian summer camp (Tonto Rim) when I was in middle school or junior high. The word "drops" was the trigger for my memory, but then I recalled the song was about tear drops not rain drops. It was "For Those Tears I Died." I googled it, and I found this video that has exactly the 70s vibe I recall, and a mid-song testimony, which was also very Christian campish:



Going to that camp was a wholesome enjoyment for me. It was not run by Christian Reformed people, but several girls my age from the Orangewood Christian Reformed Church would go. I know I went at least twice. I forget how long it was, too. A week? But I'm not sure I remember a Sunday there. Maybe five days? Hard to recall. That was a long time ago.

We would hike and counselors would teach us and talk to us about our faith. At meals there were standard jokes and songs. Every morning we sang, "Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory, Glory." I know one year we put on skits. And there were the nights we sat around the campfire and sang songs and I think the counselors would also share some of their testimonies. I had fun, I enjoyed the woods/camping aspect, I benefited from the instruction without being made uncomfortable by it, and when camp was over I was glad to get home, too.

No comments: