Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oh, tannenbaum

Tonight I un-decorated my Christmas tree, which is always a somewhat melancholy task. I had to do it tonight. I got everything off but the lights. Tomorrow night, I'll pull off the light strands, which will create showers of needles on the floor, then drag it out the door, which will create more showers of needles, take off the stand, and drag the tree to the curb. Saturday morning, the Boy Scouts will pick it up. They do that every year on the Saturday after New Year's.

Tomorrow night, I won't have time for all the removing each ball; that's why I had to do it tonight. I have been procrastinating (so unlike me!) because the thought of getting out a dozen or more little boxes that the decorations came in and returning each carefully to its source just seemed overwhelming. So, to get it done, I took two cardboard boxes, one from Amazon and one from Land's End, and just put all the decorations in them any old way. So much simpler. I could promise myself to sort them out properly later, but I know that will never happen. Hopefully they don't suffer too much damage sitting cheek by jowl all jumbled together for a year.

A fitting day to un-Christmas-decorate, as tomorrow is Epiphany. Today was the twelfth, and last, day of Christmas. Twelve lords a-leaping. I guess that's better than leapin' lizards.

Leapin' lizards, Sandy!
Tomorrow's Friday!

No comments: