Sunday, July 17, 2011

Standing in the need of prayer

“Prayer is as vital as the air we breathe. If we don’t pray, we die—spiritually, that is.” Moses Chung, Director of Christian Reformed Home Missions.

I think almost every Christian would agree with this, yet how difficult to be faithful in prayer--at least for me.

This morning my allergies were bothering me a bit, and I considered staying home from church, but I went--albeit quite late. I am preoccupied with my work situation and I was reminded just by being in church and participating in the Lord's Supper, that my faith is not a means to the end of accomplishments in the workplace, but my work is a means to the end of becoming the person God wants me to be and living the life he wants me to live.

Ephesians 4:28 gives as job motivation: "doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need." That's a bit simpler than some of the career plans we sometimes make.

Waiting to see how things will turn out, I can remember that Joel Boot presents two comforting passages, one from the Bible, Jeremiah 29:11 (which by the way was in a letter Jeremiah sent to the Jewish people who had been defeated by the Babylonians, seen Solomon's temple destroyed, the David-descended king made a shameful captive, and themselves taken away from the Promised Land into exile):

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

And a poem by the mother of the poet Sietze Buning (pen name of Stanley Wiersma), which I too have read and loved:

Amen, Father, on your planning.
Amen, for you’ll see us through.
Amen, when the cross lies heavy,
Amen everything you do.

God spoke to me through our denomination's magazine, The Banner, tonight. May I have ears to hear.

1 comment:

Mavis said...

I often think of the Jeremiah verse and it brings much comfort. I had not heard of the prayer. Thanks, Jan.