Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Good music

This is the hymn I sang on the drive home this evening. I only could remember the first verse and most of the third. The version below has a verse I've never heard before but like very much:

'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies!
Who can explore his strange design?
In vain the firstborn seraph tries
to sound the depths of love divine.
'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
let angel minds inquire no more.
'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
let angel minds inquire no more.



I also like the way they repeat the last two lines of the verse. I've been accustomed to sing the last two lines of the 1st verse (Amazing love! How can it be / that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?) as a chorus after each of the next verses.

This hymn brings to mind so many great passages from the New Testament. Jesus emptying himself of all but love: Philippians 2:5-11; waking, being flooded with light and having the chains fall off: Acts 12:5-10; the surprised gratitude for salvation, so very Pauline, as in I Timothy 1:12-17; and the no condemnation and approaching the throne boldly: Romans 8 and Hebrews 4:16.

Here's an article about the hymn that I found by googling, plus it has yet another verse. Yay!

No comments: