Saturday, July 16, 2011

Funny weather

It was cloudy, rainy, and cool most of the day, with on and off not-very-hard rain. Around 5:00 or 6:00 p.m., the sun came out. Around 7:00 p.m. some thunder peals and several short but heavy downpours. Then it felt kind of muggy.

It has been a little muggy the last few days, which is not the usual feel for Western Washington. In spite of the fact that it's a rainy climate, we don't usually have hot, humid weather. We're usually either cool and misty or warm and sunny.

Last March at the Home and Garden Show, a guy who was talking about solar power said that around here we get as many hours per year of sunshine as some other places we think of as sunnier, but the thing is we get the majority of the sunshine in July and August, which are our driest months, plus the days are still long, especially in July.

However, this has been a less sunny July than usual. I am not too bothered. I was bothered by the very late spring, how it was rainy and cold day after day until the end of June. But after a few hot, sunny days I'm always ready for a few days of rain again.

I just heard thunder again. We get one or two thunderstorms per year in the Pacific Northwest, which generally are not the violent thunderstorms they see in the Midwest in their summers.

Thunder used to freak out my cats, but it doesn't seem to bother my dog. Only three things make my dog agitated: the sight of another dog, the sight of a cat, and the sight of a mailman/delivery man (Fed Ex, UPS, etc.). He also will give a growl and bark if he hears someone come into the house until he can verify that it is someone he knows, like me or my parents, but he doesn't go absolutely bonkers like he does for the dog/cat/mailman.

No comments: