Thursday, June 9, 2011

Subdued excitement

Today after work I drove around Bellingham a little, looking for the mural that calls Bellingham the "City of Subdued Excitement." I found it on Prospect Street. The banner across the bottom of the circle in this picture says, "Ye Olde City of Subdued Excitement."


I took the picture for my sister-in-law who, although she knows Bellingham better than I do, happened not to have heard of this slogan until I said it to her a week or two ago. She loved it, as do I.

In taking the picture, it seemed to me that the first time I saw this, it didn't say "Ye Olde," so I looked around the web to see if it has been different, and I found two different pictures, showing that this mural is subject to change. Here and here.

And here's a cool video some locals made:



Looking at this post and the Grand Rapids one below, it seems that I didn't plan it that way but civic pride is a theme this week.

Just one more cool local note. People who live in Bellingham refer to themselves as Bellinghamsters, or just 'hamsters.

No comments: