Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dilly, dilly

Just checking in to say I've had either a bad cold or severe allergies since Thursday night, and it's kind of sapping my energy, so I haven't been posting. Because of it, I did not go to the Farmers Day Parade. However, I did still plant some flowers, mostly this afternoon. All I have left to do is transplant three lavenders, and weed the stair-path on the west side of the house and add all the Veronica Georgia Blue plants I bought for there.

I don't know if I've already mentioned I couldn't find any Veronica Miffy Brute to match what I planted last year, but I found Veronica Georgia Blue "out the wazoo," as we used to say in my younger days (we were such clever sprigs), so in the spirit of "close enough," I bought a lot of those.

The expanded version of "close enough" is "close enough for government work." And there is also, "good enough for who it's for." These are jokey-type sayings we say in my family.

I was going to plant the three lavenders this afternoon, but I couldn't decide what to do with the plants in two of the pots I want to use. After I ruthlessly cut back six lavenders in March, three of them came back and three did not, so I bought three replacements, but then two of the three that had not come back started getting green leaves. They are not full, like the others, and I don't think they'll look good, but on the other hand, I hate to yank them out and throw them away when they're trying so hard to grow back. I want to find a place somewhere in the yard to plant them, so they can live out their natural life span, but not on my deck, where I don't want straggly plants. But today I just didn't have the strength to go dig a couple holes to plant them, plus first figuring out where I want to plant them. So the poor three replacements will have to spend another root-bound week in their starter pots.

Lavender blue, dilly dilly, lavender green.
When I am king, dilly dilly, you shall be queen.

No comments: