Thursday, June 16, 2011

Scenes from the flower pots

The plants with the yellow flowers are Nicotiana, yes, tobacco. The flowers smell sweet. In Busman's Honeymoon, by Dorothy Sayers, the vicar and his wife invite Lord and Lady Peter Wimsey over for sherry and cigarettes. This is in the 1930s, before cigarettes were bad for people. The vicar asks Lord Peter if it is correct that sherry is the only wine "with which the goddess Nicotiana does not quarrel." Lord Peter agrees that it is correct. I shall not dry and smoke the leaves of these plants, but perhaps I could drink sherry while sniffing a bloom one day.


Here is heliotrope, a sun-loving, sweet-smelling plant. My flower-loving grandma grew heliotrope. One of my flower-loving aunts grows it near the door of her house because her mom (my grandma) told her to put that good-smelling plant by the door so that when you brush by it on your way in you bring a good smell indoors with you. I just read in Wikipedia that its leaves follow the sun. I had never observed that.


Callie rose. I get this one just for the pretty flowers. I don't think it's particularly aromatic.

No comments: