Sunday, February 6, 2011

Welcome duck

Another happy milestone today. Every spring for the past few years, we have a duck couple that comes and eats the seed that falls off our bird feeders, and today I saw the mallard. I wanted to get a closer picture, but first I took a picture through the window from inside the house, in case he flew away when I opened the door and went outside--and that's what he did.


It was fine weather for ducks, as the saying goes, but I dug in my garden anyway to finish a project I started yesterday, which was planting a whole lot of iris bulbs or, more correctly, rhizomes, that a co-worker gave me late last fall. I received them just before Thanksgiving, rattling around in a large cardboard box, and they spent December and January in the trunk of my car. But spring is getting ready to spring around here, so I thought I simply could not wait any longer to plant them. Yesterday was good weather for it, but I didn't get done, then today it was colder and rainy. But I planted anyway, and now they're planted. We'll see if they come up, or how they do.

No comments: