Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday morning

I'm so thankful for a slow morning, when I can sleep as long as I want, get up slowly, potter around. I still have to walk the dog on Saturday mornings; he won't let me forget that duty.

So I'm sitting at my computer, blogging. A gardening show is on, the most soothing form of TV there is. An interviewer is talking to a man who owns a nursery about "multi-season" plants--flowers, leaves, fruit or berries, and general form, so that all year something pretty is happening. Words like foliage and soil recur frequently. That's on my right side, then I can look to the left and look out the window at the birds and squirrels at the bird feeder.

This picture of Wiser Lake comes from a local real estate
company's website.
Today the air temperature is still cold--my little porch pond is quite frozen--but it's not windy. Yesterday when I drove to work, I saw that Wiser Lake was frozen over. That doesn't happen often. The previous day, the wind was making white caps on Wiser Lake, which also doesn't happen much. People who went to school locally say their science teacher told them that Wiser Lake is not a lake; it is a pond. There apparently are specific definitions for different types of bodies of water. More recently I learned from a local that Wiser Lake is "spring-fed pond." Good to know. However, when I googled "Wiser Lake pond," I did not find any confirmation of this information.

Now that gardening show ended, but I switched to a station where Gardening with Ciscoe will start next.

1 comment:

flask said...

i have too much time on my hands, apparently.

now i have to go look up the technical differences between ponds and lakes.

word verification: skinian = middle english present participle of a thing you might do several ways with a cat.