Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sad song

A cousin of mine posted a link on FaceBook to a video of Peter, Paul, and Mary singing "Puff, the Magic Dragon." I commented that the end of the song is so sad:

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys.
Painted wings and giant's rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened: Jackie Paper came no more,
And Puff, that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain.
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his life-long friend, Puff could not be brave,
So Puff, that mighty dragon, sadly slipped into his cave.

I actually cried listening to it. I can't remember whether that always happens, or if it was just tonight. I know the song always makes me sad. I reflected that it's again that common poetic theme: the brevity of life, the brevity of life. And then I asked myself if the tears had anything to do with yesterday being my dead brother's birthday, and I knew the answer was yes because the tears increased immediately.


I commented on my cousin's post that I wished "Puff" ended more like The Velveteen Rabbit, where he goes on to a new life at the end. My brother, who was once the little boy in this picture, has gone, and I don't know where, but I must and do believe that:

Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him (I Corinthians 2:9).

Marana tha. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.