Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Where was Moses when the lights went out?

In the dark. That's an Edith Bunker joke.

This morning, just as I went into my bedroom to get dressed for work, the power went out in my house. I opened the blinds for outdoor light, but it wasn't that light out yet, so I had to feel for the clothes I planned to wear and peer through the murk at my socks to hope they matched.

** Side note. Other people might have matched socks folded together in some ingenious manner and kept neatly in a drawer so that in the dark, even if you couldn't be sure what color they were, you would know they matched. But other people don't wash certain crucial garments [read: socks and underwear], then keep the clothes basket of clean laundry on the floor of their room to dip into every morning while getting dressed. No one will ever call me obsessive compulsive about neatness (except, oddly, at work, where I am, kinda, sometimes). Back to our regular programming. **

I would say it was approximately 8:15 a.m. when the power went out. I called home during my lunch hour to find out if my folks were still sitting around without power, and they told me it came back on around 11:00 a.m. So, about two and a half hours without power. That's a while. My dad drove to Starbucks for coffee. The tree didn't grow far from the apple that fell, there.

It was windy today, which doubtless caused the outage, and occasionally rainy and stormy, but the wind seemed to come from the south, so the air was not very cold.

I guess that's about the most exciting thing that happened today, and in second place was realizing what would be a good Christmas present for my sister-in-law. But I can't say what.

No comments: