Monday, December 20, 2010

Rare occcasion in the heavens

Tonight there is a lunar eclipse that, on the East Coast, will occur on the same date as winter solstice (starting 2:41 a.m. December 21). Out here on the West Coast, it will still be late December 20 (11:41 p.m.) when it starts but it will be solstice by the time it reaches full eclipse (12:17 a.m. Pacific, 3:17 a.m. Eastern). I was thinking I should watch it because eclipses are exciting and one on solstice is rare.
On the other hand, I have to wake up tomorrow and go to work, albeit for half the day, and what's more I need to stay awake while I'm there--not to mention while I drive each way. I'm already sleepy, and it's not even 7:00 p.m. Mid-winter has that effect on me.

Fortunately, I don't need to choose. It's so cloudy this evening in Washington that, if I did stay up, I couldn't see the moon, so I might as well go to bed. Problem solved.

No comments: