Saturday, May 16, 2009

Some new plants finally planted

A couple weeks ago I bought a lot of plants but didn't get them planted. They've been waiting ever since. Last weekend, I had to focus on the indoors because I was expecting company for Mother's Day. Fortunately for the new plants, the cool, rainy weather kept them from drying out and cooking in their little pots. Today I finally planted quite a few of them, but I still have a few more to go.

My dad and I pushed two of these barrels around so that the empty one would be in the middle, by the wall instead of under a window. I added the trellis I bought a couple weeks ago at True Value Hardware in the Fairway shopping center, and then I planted this honeysuckle that I got at Hi Hoe Nursery. My dad told me that honeysuckle will attract hummingbirds. I had previously thought of growing a climbing plant in front of this wall, so getting honeysuckle seemed like a great idea. There are no blooms yet, but I think I saw at least one cluster of buds.


I'll have to think what else I want to put in the barrel, in front of the honeysuckle. Below is a sage plant, just garden sage, not a fancy variety. Now I have parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, which I always try to have in my herb barrel, just as a tribute to the music of my youth.


The herb barrel. In the middle is tarragon that came back from last year. I would not have planted a new one if it had not. This one was already getting too tall and big, so I cut it way down and back.


In the shade by the pond, I planted some new creeping jenny. It is a more yellow-leafed variety. The plants look good and healthy now; I hope they thrive. Sometimes this spot is so shady that even shade-loving plants struggle to survive.


This barrel has creeping jenny that came back from last year, the more ordinary green-leafed kind. They look a little straggly. I'll have to look for some more to fill it in. In these two barrels I generally plant double impatiens in the middle. I saw impatiens at the nursery two weeks ago, but not double impatiens, which have more petals.

No comments: