Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hanging plants

Today I finally hung up my hanging plants. I had been keeping them more sheltered under the upper deck because all danger of frost had not passed. My dad once told me that you're not safe from frost until after Mother's Day. Mother's Day was pretty early in May this year, the 8th, but now it's even a week later.

Above is one of the two pots I made of some larger fuchsia starts. I can't remember the name of the variety now. These ones have done fine since I planted them.


The above fuchsia is called "Lisa." These starts were smaller than the other. I made two pots of them, and then about half of them died. I needed to buy some more (they were $1 each at the Barkley Village Haggen on my way home from work). I made myself remember the name by singing this old country song: "I'm not Lisa. My name is Julie. Lisa left you long ago." Etc. So today I replaced the dead ones, and they all look great, even though smaller than the other fuchsias.


I was afraid more of the Lisa fuchsias would die, so I bought too many. I had these two left over, so I put them in this barrel where last year I had a calla lily, some pink and green variegated-leaf plants, and, originally, some lobelia. The lobelia died, so I did not have any trailing plants in this pot. Perhaps these two fuchsias will trail over the edge. If I see one, I will buy another calla lily. The one last year was gorgeous.

These begonias are so beautiful that it's worth having two similar pictures. Red begonias with white lobelia in two pots at the end of the deck. Looking great.

No comments: