Saturday, July 14, 2012

Summertime

This evening I had a lovely meal. I prepared it in the reverse order to my eating. First, I took the leaves and stems off some local strawberries (Barbie's Berries) I bought this afternoon. They smelled so good, the essence of strawberriness. They looked perfect:



Just to gild the lily, I sprinkled a couple spoonfuls of sugar on them and stirred.

Next I made a big bowl of salad, with lettuce, onion, toasted pine nuts, bacon bits, feta cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Finally, I broiled a small steak. I poured a glass of burgundy.

I had a CD playing of light classical music (Peer Gynt "Morganstimmung", Clair de Lune, Fur Elise, etc.). I had a book to read (Ottoman Centuries, by Lord Kinross).

When I sat down at the table -- thankful for the blessing of such a life -- I ate first the steak, then the salad, and finally some of the strawberries.

A perfect summer dinner.

No comments: