Sunday, July 1, 2012

June-uary

It has been a cool, rainy June. That is not unusual here in the Pacific Northwest. We occasionally get a warm sunny June, but that is the exception, not the rule. I told my sister-in-law a week or two ago that I thought it would do my flowers some good if they got some sunshine, but she said they are establishing good roots, and that as long as it's over 50 degrees, the roots are growing.

We have had some sunshine, just mostly not for an entire day, just parts of days.

In much of the U.S., the Fourth of July, aka Independence Day, is stereotypically a hot day, but around here we often are wearing sweatshirts and jackets, perhaps even dealing with drizzle. Last year the first really warm, sunny day of the summer was July 5, and they're predicting the same this year.

I googled June Gloom, which was a phrase I hear vis a vis a niece in San Diego, California. According to Wikipedia, that's a Southern California phrase and the more usual PNW designation is June-uary.

Of course, once we do get some hot weather, I'll be complaining about that. It's not really heat I want, just sunshine and pleasantly warm temperatures. What I want has nothing to do with what will happen.

It will be a weird work week: two days of work, then the Fourth, then two days of work.

I guess I should have said it was a cool, rainy June, since June is over. I forgot it was July already.

No comments: