Monday, July 2, 2012

Strange sensation

Yesterday I bought a pea and bacon salad in the grocery store deli. It has peas and bacon, naturally, and onions and water chestnuts, and there was an occasional cashew. I don't know exactly what the dressing was, but when I ate it tonight it tasted fizzy. It didn't really fizz, but the taste made my tongue feel the way it does when something's fizzy. I didn't like it. I tried adding more bacon bits, which I have on hand for salad, and some salt and pepper. But I still didn't like it, so I threw the rest away.

I thought the dressing gave my tongue a strange sensation. So I googled "strange sensation" to see if there was any song by that name, and there was: Strange Sensation, by Judi Valli. There also is a rock group with that name: Robert Plant and the Strange Sensations. I listened to both but, although they both were good in their disparate ways, they weren't my cup of tea. Or coffee. Or whatever.

I could remember traces of a song on the radio in my youth called Strange Magic, but again it's okay but not my fave.

By this time, I'm wandering far from the source of my mental associations, so although it has nothing to do with a fizzy salad, I have chosen a true favorite of mine, and that is "Good Vibrations," by the Beach Boys.



Kind of a funny looking crew. These dudes are not the mental pictures in my mind when I hear the song (I picture Southern California beaches, etc.), but I am touched by what a baby face the lead singer (Brian Wilson, I guess) has, and it's a constrast to the bearded fellow on the  Electro-Theremin, I guess it's called. Presumably, they're all lip-synching and air-playing because I've always understood "Good Vibrations" was a product of lots of work with electronic and recording devices in the studio and was impossible to duplicate live.

No comments: