Sunday, October 16, 2011

Guitar and contrabass

The Wine and Song event I went to at Samson Estates was in this little building, in the tasting room.



Since there was no charge for the performance, I wanted to show my appreciation to Samson Estates for hosting it, so I bought a glass of blackberry wine and a blackberry truffle. I sipped the wine during the performance and when it was about three-fourths gone I ate the truffle.


I don't have it in my picture, but after I had eaten the truffle, a ladybug showed up on this little trunk that was functioning as my table and walked back and forth a few times. A ladybug is one of the few bugs that does not cause me to feel intense revulsion.

Here is the guitarist, David Feingold, playing the second guitar he had with him. Some of his talk was over my head, when he talked about tuning two strings to create a fifth, and how nylon strings lose their tune as you play. First he played alone, some classical pieces, and that was my favorite part of the show.


Then he was joined by the doublebassist, Ben Musa. Mr. Musa's instrument was so beautiful, like a piece of antique furniture. Together Mr. Feingold and Mr. Musa played some more jazzy music. It was very well done. Sometimes jazz goes over my head, too, if it is not melodic. They had good mixture.

The doublebassist would often close his eyes and even scrunch up his face while he played and breathe in a way that was obviously related to his music and sometimes he would hum. It reminded me of what I have been reading about meditative prayer -- coordinating your breathing with your prayer word. Music can be like prayer, or can be prayer itself. I don't know if it's a true quote but I have read that St. Augustine said, "He who sings, prays twice."


Here they are appreciating each other at the end of the performance.


This is afterwards, when most people had cleared out of the room, so you can get a better idea of the venue. It was charming -- small and intimate. More people showed up than they had anticipated, so it did become crowded, but fortunately I was there in good time and sat front and center.

No comments: