Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's a mystery

I've been reading The Scarpetta Factor, by Patricia Cornwall.

It was an impulse purchase in the grocery store the other day. I think the mysteries featuring Kay Scarpetta are ones my niece the nurse likes because Scarpetta is a medical examiner -- that is, one who performs autopsies to figure out why a dead person died. In this novel, Scarpetta does an autopsy in the early pages of the book, but not since then. In her defense, I am almost done with the book and I don't think 24 hours have passed in plot time. It feels a bit slow to me.

I'm only so-so interested. Maybe I should have started with the first Scarpetta book and gotten to know the characters from day one. This book has lots of looking back at past events that are the reason the characters are the way they are now. On the other hand, if all the past events described in this book are plots of earlier books, that would make this book quite tedious to someone who had read all those stories already.

Anyway, nothing against the book or anything, but I don't think I'll invest the energy to go back and read the earlier novels. In the words of Freddie Arbuthnot, a supporting character in mystery novels I like better (the Lord Peter Wimsey novels by Dorothy Sayers), "This show's a bit lacking in pep, what?"

No comments: