Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Falling

I got home a little late tonight, so I walked the dog around 8:00 p.m. It was dark already, a sign of Fall. But it was just delightful outside. The air was cool--sweatshirt weather--but still, no freezing wind, just refreshing. My deck looked great in the gloaming. I swept and trimmed things this weekend, then we had several days of rain. Today it dried off and everything looked beautiful. I didn't sit out, though. I needed to get dinner for myself.

I like Fall, and I know that it will be followed by Thanksgiving and Christmas, which are great. The hard part about the shortening of the days is knowing that ahead lies the heart of darkness--January and February. I have to take as my "verse" Shelley's line in Ode to the West Wind: "If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"

No comments: