Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hats

Today in downtown Bellingham I saw two young men, early 20's probably, both wearing backwards baseball caps. I thought, Dude, what are you guys? Beaver Cleaver? Dennis the Menace? If you're old enough to drive, you're too old to look adorable in backwards baseball caps.

Later I modified it to, If you're too old for training wheels on your bike, you're too old for a backwards baseball cap.

I understand guys' urge to wear a hat. The brim shades your eyes (but not if it's a backwards baseball cap) and the hat covers your possibly unattractive hair. I knew a guy in seminary who seriously said he wore a baseball cap to cover up that his hair was dirty. But shade your eyes and cover your hair with a fedora or something classy. Baseball caps just don't improve a guy's looks.

So then I started wishing I lived in a time where adults were more grownup. Men didn't dress like boys. Except, on the other side, I don't want to return to the time of girdles, stockings held up by garters, heeled pumps for almost every occasion, and hair curlers made of metal that poked your scalp. On the other hand, comfortable pretty clothes with classy hats would be cool. Can you wear a veiled pillbox hat with slacks?

Anyway, if more men looked like Indiana Jones instead of Theodore Cleaver, I wouldn't complain.

The Beave: No.


Indie: Yes.



Oh, yes.

Although to be perfectly honest, Indie needs to shave. But in the hat department, he's #1.

6 comments:

Younger Gramma said...

I so agree with your choice of Indie. I don't even mind the whiskers! Could be that we are older, as I am sure my granddaughter might think Beaver is ok. Perhaps its an age thing.

Janette Kok said...

Yes, I suppose age has something to do with it. :-) Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I actually don't mind the baseball caps on most guys, but I do think Indiana Jones is a hottie and the hat only makes him hotter. :)

I'd love it if women wore hats again, too, but I agree I do not want to go back to girdles, dresses, etc. The younger women are starting to wear hats more, seems like fedoras are kind of popular for them now, and they have some cute ones. Whenever I wear a hat I feel so conspicuous I can't keep it on. Maybe I have to get older. "When I grow old, I shall wear..." a hat?

Janette Kok said...

Yes, but a fedora is kind of masculine (that's why it looks so good on Harrison Ford). If only there were pretty hats for women that went with slacks, jackets, etc. You know, Katherine Hepburn wore pants a lot and always looked classy. I wonder what hats (if any) she wore with those.

Anonymous said...

I googled Katherine Hepburn images and only found a few with hats, and they appeared to be when she was wearing dresses. We'll have to start a new fashion statement. Ha.

Janette Kok said...

I did the same thing. I saw in one picture she was wearing a scarf draped over her head:

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/gallery/posthumousfilms?pg=8