Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The "s" word

Yesterday, I heard a radio announcer use the "s" word. You know the one, a four-letter word starting with "s." Snow. I was shocked and disgusted.

Well, it turns out my excitement at the imminence of spring was a little premature. It turned colder last night, the wind picked up, then the rain changed from gentle and misty to cold and heavy. That continued this morning, but then as the day went on the rain changed to slushy, wet snow.

When I drove home from work the roads were really slippery. I got a little sideways while I was still in Bellingham. I was well behind the car ahead of me, as we approached Barkely Village shopping center, when a deer ran across the road in front of that car. They braked, and I braked, and my car started to slide. My nose was toward the left, so I steered right and got straight again.

The whole way home, I never went faster than I was comfortable going, so I averaged about 20 mph. It took me about an hour to drive home. I wondered if anyone behind me was frustrated, but I wasn't going to end up in a ditch out of worrying that someone back there might be in a hurry. I did see a car in a ditch, as well as seeing a vehicle slide around after cornering. In some places along the Hannegan, the ditches are mighty deep and right beside the road.

I hope I'm able to get in to work tomorrow. We're pretty busy right about now.

I put my wind chimes back out last week, and they're bonging and tinging. I guess I'll just go to bed soon and see what I see in the morning when I wake up.

I hope if any hummingbirds were migrating this way, they turned back and decided to stay south for a little while longer.

No comments: