Monday, February 23, 2009

Eagle's nest

I found an interesting site the other day, Journey North, tracks bird migration patterns and other signs of seasonal changes, especially the approach of spring. I looked it up to find out when hummingbirds will come back to Western Washington (any day now), after I had looked up how to make hummingbird food (4 parts boiling water to 1 part sugar). It had information not only about hummingbirds but other birds, including robins and bald eagles. I signed on and reported my first 2009 robin sighting.

I hadn't realized that eagles were migratory. We have lots of them in Whatcom County, and I guess I haven't seen them much through the winter. Here I thought it was because I only drove through the countryside in the dark (to and from work) all winter. Maybe their prey hibernates and they have to go where the little furry creatures are awake and above ground. Anyway, I have seen some now, but I didn't pay attention to when was my first sighting this year.

The other day, on my way home from the airport and Bakerview Nursery, soon after crossing the Nooksack, I saw what I believe is an eagle's nest. I went back the next day to take a picture. It's in the right side of the tree, about half-way down the picture. You can make the picture bigger by clicking on it. Come back by using the back button on your browser.


In addition to the eagle's nest, you might notice the cloudy sky. It did cloud over yesterday, but that is making the air temperature warmer. Clouds are like a big blanket in the sky that keep things warmer underneath. I'm in favor of warmer temperatures. It's not supposed to freeze all this week, even at night. Hurrah.

No comments: