Thursday, September 8, 2011

A bruised reed

But what's really on my mind is that a cousin of mine took his own life on Tuesday night. I can't stand the thought that he was so unhappy and in so much pain as to even want to do that, and I can't stand the thought that he didn't call anyone for help. We have a large extended family, and there were dozens of people he could have called and someone would have been with him in less than an hour, but he didn't call. What was I doing Tuesday night when he was in such anguish? Just reading or watering my plants or reading articles on the internet. If only I could have sensed somehow and at least prayed for him.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18

A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench.
Isaiah 42:3a

I pray that the Lord, in his tenderness, pitied my cousin's anguish and received him with love and kindness. I pray that Jesus comforts my cousin's family, especially his mother and father.

No comments: