Thursday, September 22, 2011

All good but the oysters

Well, I went to my company picnic, held at the home of our senior ranking officer (so to speak), who has this beautiful view from his patio.


It was just the kind of party I like, where people sit where they will and talk as they will,  help themselves to drinks as they will and eat as they will. No forced games, no corporate rah-rah speeches.

The only bad part was when I decided to sample an oyster. Our host had some very fresh oysters and was shucking and sharing them, and a number of people who love oysters were enjoying them heartily. I wondered to myself if I had ever had an oyster and if so, whether it had been perhaps sort of good. I tried one. No, I had never tasted that before and, oh, no, I did not like it at all. Yuck, gross, and blech are the words that come to mind.

Driving home this evening, just remembering that oyster made me wonder if I should stop at the Lynden Rite-Aid and get some Pepcid AC or Pepto-Bismol, but by the time I got to Lynden I was thinking of other, more pleasant things. Almost anything would be more pleasant to think about, except maybe manure.

So, except for the oyster, it was a delightful afternoon and evening.

2 comments:

Mavis said...

Glad it was a good company meeting, Jan. No need to hide out at a restaurant -- and have the boss walk in. :)

Janette Kok said...

Yes, and hopefully not get laid off the next month. I'm sure that wasn't why... :-/