Sunday, May 22, 2011

St. Francis

On a happier note, yesterday after work I stopped at Bakerview Nursery in Bellingham, specifically to buy double impatiens (which I did), but I also looked around their store for a statue of St. Francis of Assisi. A few years ago, when I was either unemployed or under-employed and hence strapped for money, I saw one I liked very much, and wished I could buy it, but it was over $80 and I just couldn't spend that much.

So yesterday I wandered around wondering if they had another one. Everywhere I went I saw Buddhas, Chinese soldiers, cranes, and other Asian-themed statuary. I was starting to think snarky thoughts about Bellingham being the kind of Birkenstocky town where placing Asian-looking items around your home passed for spirituality. Didn't they have any Christian-themed statuary. Then I saw some kitschy angels. Oh, dear. I finally happened across a little corner of marked-down items, and there it was. Moreover, it was 30% off! Could any Dutchwoman ask for a clearer sign? I bought it and brought it home, and here it is.


I can see it from my living room window, and I love it already.

No comments: