Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The plot thickens

Well, in the next book of Les Miserables, it started with a description of the Battle of Waterloo. I was really anxious to find out what was happening with Jean Valjean and Fantine's daughter, Cosette, so I skipped ahead. Many, many pages and chapters of the Battle of Waterloo, and finally caught up with the characters of the novel. I decided this evening to go to Wikipedia and read the plot summary so that I would not be so driven to find out what happened that I skipped other parts.

Sometimes authors will stop to blab about something right at the moment when you are dying to find out what happens next. On a second or third reading of the book, I can go slowly and take all those reflections in, but on the first reading I am distracted by the unfolding plot.

No comments: