Sunday, May 29, 2011

Beautiful day

Well, I've made my views known about the cold, rainy spring we've been having in Washington, and here you still are, putting up with me. So it's only fair that I do the opposite of complain--what would that be? give thanks? praise?--about today's weather, which was delightful.

Here is our back yard, all ready for a family picnic. It's Memorial Day tomorrow, and my folks and I plan to attend a local ceremony in the morning. Normally, we would have the family picnic after that, but my niece's family had a conflict, so we had it this afternoon. The weather was perfect, sunny and mild. And look how beautiful the trees are, all leafed out and lush. The chairs and tables are all ready for the family to arrive, which they did, and we had a lovely afternoon.


Here's my dog, who of course is a part of family occasions, at least those that occur at our home. The grass is so green and he's so white . . .


. . .  well, off-white. As Shakespeare said about his mistress, "If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun . . . And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare / As any she belied with false compare" (Sonnet 130).

Anyway, it was a great day.

No comments: