Saturday, March 12, 2011

Come hither, hummingbirds

Last week I put out my hummingbird feeders.



This round one I filled very full and then put the plug in. Last year when I posted about hummingbird feeders, a commenter told me one like this has to be full, then the hummingbirds extract the food by suction. But all the liquid food leaked out past the black rubber seal that has the suction tube in it.


I don't know how to put the seal in tighter without running the risk of breaking the glass globe by pushing too hard. I particularly don't want to break it because it was a Christmas gift from my oldest brother, who now has passed away. So I think I'll just leave it empty. It is pretty just as it is. I may hang it somewhere indoors, since I won't be feeding birds with it.

The other one has not attracted any hummingbirds yet. It may be a little early. I have seen hummingbirds in years past this early, but maybe they're just not here yet. It's not like there are many flowers in bloom yet, just crocuses. Although, according to Ciscoe Morris, hummingbirds also eat bugs. He said sometimes they will eat bugs that have been trapped in a spider's web and if the spider comes to investigate, "he becomes chow too." More power to the hummingbirds.

No comments: