Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bulbs and Sunday afternoons

Today I saw my first daffodil bloom in Lynden. The crocuses are still here but are just slightly past perfection. They were perfect on Saturday. It rained Friday night, then Saturday morning was sunny, and the sun on the wet leaves, flowers, and branches made everything sparkle and shine. When I walked my dog, I noticed that all the crocuses in the neighborhood were open just to perfection and all their petals were gleaming. Most of the crocuses are a beautiful dark purple, a few are pale purple, yellow, or white.

I took pictures, but they are upstairs on my dad's computer, because I did not get my new computer up and running until Sunday.

Sunday afternoon I spent with my sister-in-law who lives out in the country, and we walked around her yard to see what she had done, in terms of pruning, on Saturday, and what was coming up. She has crocus bulbs, but she never gets crocus blooms because the bunnies eat them. Back when they had a dog, she could enjoy the crocuses because the dog chased the rabbits away. But now her bulbs are a leporidic salad bar.

What is more pleasant than walking around a garden with people you love (in addition to my sister-in-law, my niece was there), in the sunshine, with a cup of coffee in your hand, looking at and talking about flowers?

No comments: