Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wind and a book

Last night was dark and stormy, very windy and cold, but it was over by morning.

On my Kindle I made an impulse purchase of Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain. I've watched his show "No Reservations" on the travel channel and usually like it. He has kind of a snarky sense of humor.

I must say reading this book made me realize that by never considering becoming a professional chef, I made a wise decision without even thinking about it. Mr. Bourdain loves it, but he doesn't make it sound appealing to me--frenetic work in a hot atmosphere and standards of behavior and conversation below those of a locker room. Anthony Bourdain is obviously highly intelligent, articulate, and gifted at what he does, but it takes a certain personality type to thrive in the environment he describes, and one very foreign to me--which is not to say I didn't enjoy the book. It's like watching Indiana Jones fall into a snake pit--entertaining, but you have no desire be in his place. Except Bourdain would say, "Snakes. Cool. Let's eat them."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Snakes. Cool. Let's eat them." Haha!