Monday, November 1, 2010

Een grapje *

I have to explain a little joke I made to my sister in the comments of another post, the one about my needlepoint project. (The kit arrived today, by the way.) We both like an English novelist, Barbara Pym. She wrote some funny, touching stories, and in one of them, No Fond Return of Love, is the following passage:

Dulcie suddenly wished that she had brought her knitting. There was that look about Viola that presaged the outpouring of confidences. It would have added a cosiness to the occasion -- hot coffee, purring gas-fire, women knitting and talking. Or, rather, one talking while the other knitted in a kind of wildness and desperation, yet with the satisfaction of seeing a sleeve grow.


When my sister suggested I do my needlepoint while I visit with our sister-in-law, that passage came to  my mind.
 
* Een grapje = a little joke.

No comments: