Thursday, November 18, 2010

One dog night

Actually, every night is a one dog night for me. The term "three dog night" came, so they say, from the idea of a night that's so cold you need three dogs in bed with you to keep you warm. I just have one tiny dog to cozy up to me weather it's warm or cold.

But it's cold tonight! A cutting little wind out of the east and a temperature right around freezing. I keep hearing both forecasts of snow and people talking about forecasts of snow. But I gather any snow that happens is likely to be just flakes in the air and not really any accumulation, except maybe a little at higher elevations. I'm not into snow accumulation. It just makes driving a hassle.

The other thing to watch out for in this weather is black ice. I don't know if that's the term everywhere that it can happen. It just means that damp patches on the road--of which we have plenty in northwest Washington--can freeze, and they just look like wet, black pavement but really they're ice. Swoosh. There you go into a ditch. We have lots of ditches beside the roads in Whatcom County, too. Out in the countryside it seems like every road has a deep ditch on each side. I have seen cars nose-down in them when the roads are treacherous. Careful, careful, careful.

No comments: