Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bird broth

Today was a rainy Saturday, but the fall colors were pretty. In the morning when I was sitting on my couch, drinking coffee and cuddling my little dog, the view into the back yard was mostly yellow tree leaves. Beautiful.

We have some new neighbors a couple houses away with two dogs, a dachshund and a St. Bernard. My dog and I heard a big "woof," which I knew was their big dog. My little dog became quite excited and ran across the room to bounce around on the chair near the window. We both looked out but didn't actually see the dog. Later, when my dog wasn't paying attention, I did see the big fellow. He trotted through our yard and paused at the bird bath, which is just about at his chin level, and he lapped some water out of it then went trotting along to wherever he was headed.

Other times, I've seen cats put their front paws on the edge of the bird bath, standing on their hind legs, and lap out of it, too. I always figured since birds had splashed in it, it was like bird broth to them. Bird bullion perhaps. I remember a roommate of mine who said chicken bullion was water a  chicken had walked through.

Below is a picture of the bird bath in question, although not taken today. This is a summer picture.

No comments: