Monday, November 22, 2010

Cold, windy night

The wind is blowing hard tonight. It has been blowing for some days, and we've had exceptionally cold temperatures. Tonight there is a high wind warning for western Whatcom County, warning of winds 30-40 miles per hour with gusts to 60 mph.

So batten down the hatches.

My dog and I on our walk tonight got a couple blasts of wind our faces that made us both pause and then have to push against it. I heard on the radio driving home from work that there are power outages around the county. If I wake up tonight and no clock is glowing in my room, then I'll know it's happening to us. Or if the clocks are blinking, I'll know it did happen. Then I'll wonder what time it is. Whenever I wake up in the night, I look at the clock to make sure it's not time to get up yet. If the power goes out, I'll worry that it is time but I don't know it.

I hope there are no homeless people sleeping outside tonight. I hope there are sufficient shelters open. I don't think there are homeless--street people--in Lynden, but there are in Bellingham. I know two people who work at the Lighthouse Mission in Bellingham.

No comments: