Monday, July 19, 2010

Meanwhile

Not this past weekend, but the weekend before, I went back to Hi Hoe Nursery to get more Veronica Miffy Brute, to help fill in the sand and dirt steps on the west side of our house. The ones I bought earlier are doing well and spreading, but just not very fast, so I stuck a few more in to help the cause along.


Of course, I couldn't just buy what I went there for, and I came home with more plants, including these hostas, which I planted between the blueberry bushes because that's a fairly shady spot. I told my dad we should take the blueberries out, as they have not thrived there, but they do have a few berries, so he says to wait at least until the berries are done.


I also bought the fern on the left. The fern on the right planted itself. It's what my aunt calls "a volunteer."


These little plants were so pretty, I bought them for my deck, even though I had used up my pots, and I had to go buy new pots just for them. They are called Blue Ageratum.


And these, with their trumpet-shaped flowers, were vaunted as appealing to hummingbirds, so I bought them and a pot for them, too. The blooms suffered a bit from the fact that these sat in their starter pots for a week before I transplanted them to this big pot. They are called Nicotiana, which makes me wonder if that word is related to "nicotine," and if this plant is related to tobacco. Sure enough. I just looked on Wikipedia, and this is tobacco. The information "stick" said that all parts of this plant are poisonous if ingested, but I don't plan to eat it, or to smoke it either. Just grow it.



And I bought this little fern-type fellow for this little pot. The daisy-type of flower I put in it previously died. I think there was insufficient drainage from the pot and the soil stayed too moist. I put some small rocks in the bottom of the pot this time. There is no drainage hole in it. This plant also suffered from sitting in the starter pot for a week before I transplanted it, plus the starter pot fell over on its side. So we'll see if it recovers or if I'll have to try a third time to find something for this pot.

3 comments:

Janette Kok said...

Thanks!

Stephen Plew said...

Nice post. I saw your head and you seem like a nice Christian woman.

Janette Kok said...

Thanks for visiting.